Create and manage an AOL Mail account
Create a new AOL account
- Go to the main AOL page.
- Click Login / Join in the upper right hand corner.
- Click Sign up at the bottom of the screen.
- Enter and submit the requested information.
Learn to Easily Recover a Forgotten AOL Mail Password
When you can’t sign in to your mail account, who knows what you may be missing? If you forgot your login information, there are several different ways to recover AOL passwords and usernames.
Try Your Browser First
Current versions of most internet browsers offer an auto-fill feature. You will see it when you enter a username and password for the first time on a password protected site. The browser regularly displays a popup window that asks if you need to save the login details.
If you visited the AOL Mail site recently, you may have saved your username and password using this function, in which case the browser fills in the password field automatically. If not, double tap the Password text box to show matching passwords in a drop-down menu, then pick the right password.
Alternatively, check the browser’s assistance site to discover where to go in the browser settings to find where the password is stored, how to recover it, and how to flip the feature on or off. The process is similar across browsers.
If you have not saved your password in your browser, use the AOL password reset process.
AOL Mail Password Reset Procedure
Like many sites, AOL has moved away from password recovery. Rather, it offers a password reset option as a more secure way. AOL has developed simple process to do so. They are updated frequently but generally entail similar steps.
- Go to the AOL Mail Sign in page.
- Enter your AOL username.
- Select Sign in.
- Choose I forgot my password.
- Enter your username.
- Select Next.
- Enter the phone number associated with your account, which you entered when you created the account.
- Select Next.
- To verify your identity, AOL requires you to enter a verification code. Choose either Yes, text me a verification code or Call me with a verification code.
- Make a note of the verification code you received in the text message or phone call.
- Enter the verification code, then select Verify.
- Enter the new password you’d like to use.
- Select Save.
- Log in to your AOL Mail account using your new password.
Tips for Creating Secure Passwords
- As you reset your AOL eMail password, remember these tips:
- Avoid using anything self-evident, for example, 123456 or mypassword.
- The more longer the password, the more secure it is.
- Try not to use letters that are next to each other on the keyboard or that follow an obvious pattern, for example, the four corners of the telephone keypad.
- Try not to use a similar password that you use on another site. Make every password for each site unique.
- Try not to create a password on personal details, for example, birth dates, locations, and telephone numbers.
- Change your password time to time.